Wine and Dine Group Tour - The Thracian Valley Wine Region
- Visit four wineries in the wine region surrounding the town of Plovdiv called “The Thracian Valley”.
- Enjoy the hearty local cuisine and rich cultural heritage of this Balkan country.
- Explore some of the most acclaimed wineries and some “hidden winery gems”.
- Learn more about the longstanding history of winemaking on these lands.
An authentic wine tour in the undiscovered wine country of Bulgaria. Visit four wineries in the wine region surrounding the town of Plovdiv called “The Thracian Valley”. The Thracian Valley was recently selected one of the Top 10 Best Wine Travel Destination of 2017 by Wine Enthusiast Magazine. Enjoy the hearty local cuisine and rich cultural heritage of this Balkan country. Prepare to explore some of the most acclaimed wineries and some “hidden winery gems”. Learn more about the longstanding history of winemaking on these lands. Get familiarized with Bulgaria’s culture, local wines and foods.
Day 1: July 2, 2018
Upon arrival to Sofia airport, there will be a group transfer from the airport at latest 2 pm. Your chauffeur will transfer the group to the ancient town of Plovdiv, which will take around 1.5-2 hours. Check-in to your centrally located hotel. Head out for a fascinating guided walking tour of Plovdiv and Old Town Plovdiv. The evening is free for you to unwind and explore the town on your own. The main street of Plovdiv is full of shops, restaurants and cafes.
Day 2: July 3, 2018
Our first stop for the day is the historical site of the Thracian Tomb of Starosel. Next is the charming Starosel Wine & SPA Complex, where you will tour the winery and taste a selection of the wines produced here. Lunch is served in the onsite restaurant. We continue to the historical town of Panagyurishte, where you get to visit the Panagyurishte museum and see the acclaimed treasure consisting of nine gold vessels for wine from the Thracian era.
Visit to the nearby Rumelia winery, where we tour the winery and enjoy a wine tasting in the dedicated tasting room. We then head back to the hotel in Plovdiv. Dinner is on your own this evening.
Day 3: July 4, 2018
Today features a visit to the second largest monastery in Bulgaria - Bachkovo Monastery. Time on your own to explore the monastery and surrounding grounds. Grab some excellent Bulgarian street food at one of the many restaurants or street food vendors surrounding the monastery.
Next is the modern winery Villa Yustina, where the winery guide will give a tour of the facility, explain the winemaking process, show the vineyards and end with a superb wine tasting accompanied with local appetizers. Visit to the ruins of The Red Church - an old Christian church. We end the day at Todoroff Wine Cellar located in the nearby village of Brestovitsa. Enjoy a wine tasting in the cellar followed by dinner at the hotel restaurant.
Day 4: July 5, 2018
We enjoy a tasting of eloquent Bulgarian wines and delicious appetizers at a local enoteca around noon. If there was no time during Day 1 for a guided walking tour around Plovdiv, we spend the morning exploring the ancient town of Plovdiv together.
Enjoy some free time in the afternoon to explore the city even further or relax in your hotel room. Tonight marks our last night together and we celebrate this tour with a wine-paired dinner at a local enoteca to share our experiences and stories over a few glasses of Bulgarian wine.
Day 5: July 6, 2018
Breakfast. Check-out of hotel. Transfer to Sofia Airport (2h) or Sofia Centre.
- Transfer from/to Sofia Airport or Centre
- All ground transportation mentioned in itinerary
- 4 nights in a centrally located hotel in Plovdiv (3 star) in shared ensuite double rooms
- Meals: Daily breakfast, Lunch on Day 2 and Dinner on Day 3 and 4 (wine-paired dinner)
- Tours and tastings at 4 wineries & 1 enoteca/urban winery
- Guided walking tour of Plovdiv and Old Plovdiv
- Visit to Bachkovo Monastery, Panagyurishte Museum and The Red Church incl. entrance fees
- Tour leader from Bulgaria Wine Tours
- Tour operator insurance from Groupama Insurance in case of non-provision of services
What's not included
- Flight tickets
- Private transfers
- Meals and beverages not mentioned in the tour description
- Travel and medical insurance (please, consult your insurance provider)
- Visa fees, if applicable
- Extras and incidentals
- Single room supplement