Sydney Urban Adventures - Forbidden Sydney with drink
When to book - availability
- Learn more about how Sydney has become one of the world's great gay and lesbian cities
- Listen to incredible tales and stories about the city
- Grab a drink at a gay friendly bar
Sydney is one of the world's great gay and lesbian cities — with plenty of stories waiting for you to uncover. Learn about the gay governor of New South Wales whose conduct scandalised the British Empire, the gay bushranger who was hanged at Darlinghurst Gaol, and the "most violent woman in Sydney," a tough lesbian criminal who carried a knuckleduster in her handbag and stole
male gangsters' girlfriends.
Starting out at Hyde Park Barracks, you’ll explore the eastern part of the city near Hyde Park and the Botanical Gardens before your Sydney tour heads toward the bright lights of the gay strip on Oxford Street. Your local guide will share dark tales of organised crime, corrupt cops, murder, and Oxford Street’s
ultimate transformation into the centre of gay life in Sydney in the 1970s. And, of course, a tour of gay and lesbian Sydney wouldn't be complete without a look at the city’s famous Mardi Gras — how it started, why it began, and how it’s become one of the largest events on Sydney’s festival calendar.
The tour finishes at a friendly gay pub where you’ll have a drink on us, rub shoulders with locals, and see why Sydney is one of the friendliest gay and lesbian cities in the world.
This tour is designed for everyone — gay, lesbian, or straight. So don’t worry, no matter who you are or how you identify, you’ll be welcomed!
2 hour guided walking tour
Complimentary drink at the conclusion of the tour
What's not included
- Items of a personal nature
- Tips or gratuities for guides
- Bottled water
- Cancel within: 48 hours
- If the booking is cancelled less than 48 hours prior to travel, 100% of the total cost of the booking will be charged as a cancellation fee.
- Tour date changes are available with 24 hours notice, subject to availability.