Corpus Domini in Umbria June 2017 – A Feast of Flowers!
Join in our special vacation package to enjoy the unique religious festivity, the Infiorata. Discover Umbria's major cities and enjoy our cooking classes and amazing wine!
- 3 Hand-on cooking classes
- Visit Spello and its most important annual festivity, the Infiorata
- Assisi Tour
- Deruta Ceramic and Wine Tour
- Accomodation in the apartment of the farmhouse "La volpe e l'uva"
Once a year in conjunction with the religious feast of Corpus Domini, the festival of L’Infiorata is celebrated in Spello, a medieval hill town in central Umbria with origins that pre-date the Romans.
The feast is marked by laying extravagant floral carpets (Infiorata) over the streets. Floral artists create larger-than-life depictions of religious themes or re-creations of sacred art using only the petals and seeds, working all night on the eve of the Infiorata, when the Host is carried through the streets in a procession. You will also visit the city of Assisi and you will enjoy a Deruta Ceramic and Wine Tour
DAY BY DAY ITINERARY OF THE TOUR
Saturday 17th June– Arrive in Perugia
Arrival at the country farm “La volpe e l’uva” (Perugia, Central Italy, Umbria, near Tuscany). Check-in your apartment at 4:00pm.
Sunday 18th June– Cooking class + Spello: L’infiorata!
Morning: You will visit Spello and its most important annual festivity, the Infiorata, with the streets outside the main church strewn with intricate decorations and images made using only fresh flower petals. The entire organization culminates in on the morning when a procession led by the bishop walks over the floral carpet at around 10.30am. Afternoon: Hands-on cooking lesson starts around 16,30pm. You will prepare a four course dinner that you will accompanied by our wines.
Monday 19th June– Cooking class + Assisi Tour
Morning: Hands-on cooking class starts around 10.00 am. You will prepare a four course lunch that you will eat at the end of the class, accompanied by our wines. Afternoon: The excursion takes place from 15.00. You will visit the mystical city of Assisi, a beautiful medieval town based on Mount Subasio, overlooking a peaceful Umbrian landscape. Assisi is essentially known for the fact that it’s the place of birth of St. Francis in and that of Santa Chiara. You will visit the city and the famous churches like the St. Francis Church filled with spectacular frescoes by Giotto, and also the Eremo delle Carceri (a peacefully isolated church and monastery in the wooded slopes just outside Assisi’s walls, this was the first monastic home of St. Francis’ and his followers) and the St. Damiano church (A church and monastery outside the city walls is where the crucifix spoke to St. Francis, prompting him to repair it and begin his ministry. Later, St. Clare died here).
Tuesday 20th June: Cooking class + Deruta ceramic and Wine Tour
Morning: Hands-on cooking class starts around 10:00 am. You will prepare a four course lunch that you will eat at the end of the class, accompanied by our wines. Afternoon: You will visit a ceramic laboratory in Deruta where the majolicas are completely handmade. Their high quality products keeps the tradition alive and evokes the classic decorations of the various periods of Deruta. The production cycle is completely carried-out within the company and rigorously worked by hand in all its phases. Than you will have a wine tour in a Winemakers Company near Perugia. It is a vineyard under family management, which with special care from their very own vines, produces D.O.C. Colli Perugini and IGT dell’Umbria white, red and rosè wines.
Wednesday 21th June – Departure
- Accommodation in the apartment of the farmhouse “la volpe e l’uva” in Perugia
(40mq, lounge with cooking area and double sofa bed double bedroom and bathroom), included bed linen, towels, final cleaning
- Extra heating on consumption.
- 3 breakfasts (in your apartment you will find coffee, milk, biscuits, jams, butter and sugar)
- 3 cooking classes of approximately 4 hours,
- 3 Four course meal from the cooking lesson;
- Umbrian wines during meals, liquors for after dinner/lunch;
- Certificate of participation;
- Folder with all the recipes;
- Apron of Let’s cook in Umbria
- Visit Spello and its most important annual festivity, the Infiorata Assisi Tour Deruta ceramic and Wine Tour
What's not included
- The lunch on Sunday, after the visit of Infiorata in Spello.
- Cancel up to 30 days before - get 70% refund.
- Cancel up between 30 and 14 days before - get 50% refund.
- Cancel 14 days before and - no refund possible.