Athens Food Tour: Foodies tour and food market visit
When to book - availability
- Taste a wide variety of Greek delicacies
- Enjoy mouth-watering sweet and syrupy “loukoumades” to traditional “bougatsa” or "spanakopita" or the savoury “pastourma”, Feta cheese and famous Greek olives.
- Discover the non-touristy area of Athens
Discover another side of Athens which lies in the shadow of the famous Acropolis where a kaleidoscope of colors, smells, tastes and textures await. Your expert and totally passionate about food guide will lead you past produce stalls bursting with color, intoxicating spice shops, enticing sweet shops, and of course the bustling central food market of Athens.
We will visit various specialty food shops, colorful and alluring delicatessens, restaurants, spice, grocery and pie shops where you will sample and taste the most traditional Greek food and not necessarily the Greek food stereotypes such as "Greek salad” or “moussaka". A genuine Athenian food tour would not be complete without a visit to the vibrant central Varvakios food market, with its bustling energy and loud bargaining; this dazzling galaxy of fruit and spice, meat and fish will enchant you.
Your guides will knowledgeably lead you through a food stroll and introduce you to small, hidden specialty food shops. They will provide valuable insight both on the unique and intricate culinary heritage of Greece as well as the famous Mediterranean diet, hailed today as a model of healthy living.
Join us as we embark on a culinary journey and a delightful world of the five senses! Let the culinary Athens will be revealed to you!
The tour ends close to Monastiraki metro station at approx. 13:00 (1 pm).
- Food specialist guide
- Brochure with all places visited by the tour
- Food & Beverages sampling (22 various foods and drinks)
What's not included
- Lunch or dinner
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Gratuities (gratuity rates in Greece are around 10% of service cost)
- Up to 72 hours prior to the scheduled tour: full refund, apart from the charge due to AWT for the use of a credit card.
- Between 72 and 48 hours prior to the scheduled tour: 50% refund, plus any other expenses, i.e. credit card charges or cancellation charges for means of transportation that may have been reserved for the tour.
- Less than 48 hours prior to the scheduled tour or if customers do not show up at the agreed meeting point: no refund