Athens Food Tour: Foodies tour and food market visit
Enjoy this small group tour, in the non-touristy area of Athens and acquaint yourself with the traditional Greek cuisine in the company of your food specialist guide!
When to book - availability
- Taste a wide variety of Greek delicacies
- Enjoy mouth-watering sweet and syrupy “loukoumades” to traditional “bougatsa” or "spanakopita" or the savoury “pastourma”, Feta cheese and famous Greek olives.
- Discover the non-touristy area of Athens
The Most Delicious Food Tour of Athens
Get ready to bite into a sweet, cream filled, crunchy filo layered pie called bougatsa, fork into perfectly fried doughnut balls drenched in honey called loukoumades, and savor a satisfying meld of flavors from warm pita bread filled with seasoned grilled meat, fresh veggies and traditional sauce called gyros. In between, you’ll taste Feta cheese, Greek olives, and sip Greek wines. This neighborhood walk revolves around sampling Greece’s traditional food.
Athens Central Market and More
Our Athens Walking Tours guide will lead you through the bustling Athens Central Market, a historic food market unlike any other in Europe. Here, colorful and fragrant food stalls set the stage among animated food sellers, fishmongers and butchers whelping for sales as locals bargain them down.
Experience the Tastes of Greece
You’ll also walk the city’s quaint spice street, browse through mom-and-pop specialty shops selling local wine, olive oil, cheese or olives, and sample what’s behind the glass counters at family-run delicatessens. The aromas of fresh, out-of-the-oven savory pies, the tempting displays of Greek pastries and sips of Greece’s strong and tasteful spirits round out the food tour.
Discover Athenian Food Culture
In between each bite, you’ll gain insight into Greece’s fascinating food culture, the evolution of the country’s cuisine and the healthy nature of locally produced, organic ingredients.
- Food specialist guide
- Brochure with all places visited by the tour
- Food and Beverages sampling (22 various foods and drinks)
What's not included
- Lunch or dinner
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Gratuities (gratuity rates in Greece are around 10% of service cost)
- Up to 72 hours prior to the scheduled tour: full refund, apart from the charge due to AWT for the use of a credit card.
- Between 72 and 48 hours prior to the scheduled tour: 50% refund, plus any other expenses, i.e. credit card charges or cancellation charges for means of transportation that may have been reserved for the tour.
- Less than 48 hours prior to the scheduled tour or if customers do not show up at the agreed meeting point: no refund